Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Tokyo 2017- Day 1

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor
A photo of me with my beloved vending machines
Visiting Japan has always been a dream of mine since my weeaboo stage, where i would literally submerge myself in japanese culture and try to read and watch everything i could get my hands on to learn more about the country. Obviously when I heard there was going to be a trip to Japan, I swore it would be my christmas present for the next 5 years if my parents would let me go. I could hardly believe I was actually going until we landed at Narita airport, nearly 24 hours after we first set off from Leeds. The thing that I was really excited about first (sadly), were the vending machines. They were amazing. They had cold AND hot drinks. I want to move to Japan just for the vending machines. I already loved Japan and I'd only seen the airport.

Image may contain: text
The Golden Gai 
Image may contain: people walking and outdoorAfter we got to the hotel, we roamed around Shinjuku for a bit. At this point I think I was in a dream like state due to lack of sleep. Evertyhing was so...Japanese...and cute. We visited the Golden Gai, a series of tiny little streets filled with bars that could fit only about 7 people in total, and decided to come back here later for a 'sesh.'
Later in the evening, after a much needed shower, 4 of us had booked a slot at a hedgehog cafe in Roppongi, which involved navigating the (terrifying) metro. Fortunately we had Ally on our side, who is from London and therefore good with train stuff. Once we got to the hedgehod cafe and I had been given my hedgehog, I wasnt really sure what to do.Then my hedgehog bit me and I wished I'd gone to the bunny cafe upstairs instead. I'll never trust a hedgehog again.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, indoor
The Bokey Bits
We returned to Shinjuku after my traumatising hedgehog experience, and decided it was time for the sesh to begin. We found a bar that didn't require a cover charge to sit in, because we are cheap, and had a few sake, talking to our new friend and bar tender, Abe- Chan. He let us draw ourselves and sign his wall, and then recommended us a few clubs  we could go to in Shinjuku. The rest of the night was....interesting....we made a few new Japanese friends, and Australian friends....and then got a wee bit lost on the way home. But it was still probably the best night out of my life, and we got to bed eventually, where I passed out immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment